TOG meeting & GMVA technical meeting at the Ventspils International Radio Astronomy Center (VIRAC)
|The Technical and Operations Group (TOG) is made up of the personnel at the European VLBI Network (EVN)
stations who provide the technical and operational expertise for operating the EVN as a VLBI array.The next EVN TOG meeting will take place on May 23 2017, at the Ventspils University College (VUC) in Ventspils, Latvia (Ventspils International Radio
Astronomy Center is subdivision of VUC). Global Millimeter VLBI Array (GMVA) technical meeting will be held in same place on May 22, 2017, the day before, to allow communication between both communities. See TOG & GMVA wiki page for 2017.Two collective bus trips will be organized to ease travels between Riga International Airport and Ventspils. Trip from Riga Airport to Ventspils will be available on Sunday, May 21, the day before the GMVA meeting and trip from Ventspils to Riga Airport will be organized next day after TOG on May 24.
Please use the links below to register at the meetings.
We suggest to book accomodation in the following hotels & guest houses near Ventspils University College:
If you are not using collective bus trips organized by us, the most convenient way to get to Ventspils from Riga International Airport is to rent a car. See list of car rental companies operating at the airport.
If you want to use public transport to get to Ventspils:
- Getting from airport to Riga center: Riga International Airport is located 13 kilometers from the city center. Taxi should cost approximately 15 EUR, we recommend to take green Airbaltic taxi. There are also regular bus connections from the airport to the city center: please take bus No 22. Information how to get from and to Riga International Airport also can be found here.
- Getting from Riga center to Ventspils: Ventspils is located 190 km from Riga. The only way to get here from Riga by public transportation is bus from Riga Bus Station. Please see the bus schedule and allow approximately 3 hours for the trip. In order to get from Ventspils Bus station to venue site or your accomodation take a taxi or go on foot.
There are also direct Ventspils – Nynäshamn (Sweden) and Ventspils – Travemünde (Germany) Stena Line ferry links.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from Ventspils, Latvia, as well as for hotel arrangement and costs.
21.05.2017. Arrival to Ventspils
- ~ 16:00 Bus from Riga airport to Ventspils. Time will be allocated in respect to arrivals time.
- ~ 20:00 Registration Ventspils University College.
22.05.2017. GMVA technical meeting (Ventspils University College) and trip to Irbene
- 08:30-09:00 Registration
- 09:00-09:45 GMVA Technical Group (GTG) constitution
- 09:45-11:15 GTG meeting 1st session
- 11:15-11:30 Coffee break
- 11:30-14:00 GTG meeting 2nd session
- 14:00-15:00 Lunch
- 15:00-18:00 Trip and Excursion to Irbene Observatory
- 18:00-21:00 Barbeque at Irbene
- 21:00-22:00 Back to Ventspils
23.05.2017 EVN TOG (Ventspils University College)
- 09:00-10:30 TOG meeting 1st session
- 10:30-10:50 Coffee break
- 10:50-13:00 TOG meeting 2nd session
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch
- 14:00-16:00 TOG meeting 3rd session
- 16:00-16:15 Coffee break
- 16:15-17:45 TOG meeting 4th session
- 17:45-18:00 Meeting final remarks
- ~ 7:00 Departure to Riga airport (Time will be negotiated)
Locations of Bus station, Ventspils University College and surrounding hotels are available here.
Please register using the web form. The deadline is March 21, 2017.
Current list of participants
You may find the list of participants here.
Station reports can be downloaded from here.
Local organizing comittee
If you have questions or need to contact us, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org